Hello Today i am going to share Is Game of Thrones Available on Netflix? (Latest Updates)
Game of Thrones’ much anticipated 7th season is almost here so we thought of giving our readers a little run-down on whether the show is available on Netflix or not. So if you’re a Netflix subscriber looking to revive the GOT part of your limbic system or just a GOT-neophyte looking to finally catch up with majority of the world’s homo sapiens, keep on reading!
You can hate on exorbitant incest and shudder-evoking savagery all you want, but you know deep inside that the human mind is twisted. These elements elicit ‘shock’ and are part of why we get so absorbed in a TV show. Game of Thrones is no exception, albeit it takes clever execution and exemplary graphics and HBO has pulled that off with absolute superiority.
The Plot Brief –
Based on George R.R Martin’s ‘A Song of Ice and Fire’ book series, Game of Thrones is exactly that – story of nine imperial families fighting for the Iron Throne to reign over the seven kingdoms in the fictitious land of Westeros. A fable filled with plot twists entailing politics, wars, dragons, the scary-looking white walkers, and dark & cold locations, with a strong historical element had to be a huge success!
Very rarely does a TV series tick all of the entertainment boxes including the story, the cast, the costumes, location, and visual effects but Game of Thrones managed to do it. The show garnered millions of views from the very first season, and its viewership kept rising each year with approximately 8.9 million views last year for season 6, breaking all past records. While the appointment-viewing phenomenon has dropped significantly, GOT is regarded as one show that still got viewers to keep an hour aside from their busy schedules for official airing.
Speaking of official airing, not everyone has the time or money to invest into Cable/Satellite TV connections. One might imagine that such a popular show is perhaps quite easily available for online viewers but apparently not. Let’s delve into the details.
Also check – Legal sites to stream Game Of Thrones
Does Netflix’s Massive Library Flaunt the Game of Thrones?
As awesome as Netflix otherwise is, the company failed to add Game of Thrones to its glorious crown of content. In simple words, GOT fans will not be able to stream the show using Netflix. You may think this is probably not the case in every country but sadly, it is. Most of the big TV networks and hit shows normally first appear in the U.S. but Game of Thrones doesn’t feature even on U.S. Netflix.
With rivalry, comes a certain amount of stinginess and a dash of malevolence as is in the case of Netflix and HBO. Netflix is now a direct competitor of HBO and they’re both huge names in the entertainment biz churning out praise-worthy shows. Except, Netflix’s services are strictly reliant on the internet whereas HBO can be viewed on TV through a cable connection.
You might be aware that most of Netflix’s revenue comes from its original shows. While HBO has still given rights to a few streaming services, Netflix does not distribute their original content under any circumstances. That explains the not-so-friendly relationship between the two.
Moreover, streaming services such as Netflix offer entertainment at low prices, cutting the potential profit margins of TV networks. Its no wonder that even HBO has become seemingly possessive about its shows. Streaming services called HBO Go and HBO Now are HBO’s reply to other online subscription-based TV sites.
Any Future Possibilities?
None! As far as our knowledge is concerned, it doesn’t look like GOT would be added to Netflix at any point in the near future or else the previous seasons would have been up by now. Even if Netflix does obtain rights from HBO, it’ll perhaps take a long time, and by long, we mean at least 1-2 years, after the TV series has wrapped up. That’s a pretty long wait isn’t it?
But wait, its not all darkness in Netflix’s court. As a subscriber in the U.S., you can rent out the first four seasons of Game of Thrones DVDs for $8. It costs as much as Netflix’s monthly subscription but hey, we’re talking of GOT here, its definitely worth investing. However, be warned that season 5 and 6 aren’t available even for renting.
Will GOT Season 7 be Available on Netflix?
You’re perhaps hoping that at least Game of Thrones’ finale season, season 7 will be seen on Netflix but unfortunately, the chances of that happening are also quite slim. Talking about the finale, have you watched the official teaser yet? It looks highly intriguing and we’re dying to watch the actual show. The good news is that GOT’s upcoming season is all set to hit our silver screens on 26th July, that’s just two months way!
Other Ways to Binge on GOT Right Now:
If you’ve been following our site, you’ll know that we don’t leave our readers feeling disappointed. Diehard Game of Thrones fans need not wait for the show to be added on Netflix or spend money on DVDs and cable connections. Whether you just wish to rerun the episodes or want to catch up on missed seasons, here are a few legal sources that will allow you to stream Game of Thrones just like you wished:
- HBO GO/HBO Now: This is perhaps the best way to go about watching Game of Thrones online. You can watch all HBO shows for free using HBO GO but there’s a catch. You have to have a cable connection with HBO added to your package and that can turn out to be pretty expensive. HBO Now on the other hand, doesn’t require you to have a cable connection but charges $15 a month for the service. Both these apps are supported across a huge range of devices including iPhone, Android phones, gaming consoles like PlayStation 3 & 4, Xbox One & 360, computers, and streaming players like Roku, Chromecast, and Apple TV. The best part about these services is that they’ll be uploading the latest season as soon as it has been aired.
- Sling TV: Sling TV is an excellent alternative to cable TV, offering up to 30 channels. You can stream the shows or movies on these channels as they’re being aired. However, there’s one big caveat. In order to get the optional HBO bundle ($15), one needs to be subscribed to Sling TV’s core package which is priced at $20 per month. The total comes up to $35/month but its a great deal if you’re planning to cut the cord.
- DirecTV Now: At $35/month, users can get access to as many as 100 channels. Unfortunately, that does not include HBO. HBO can be added separately for only $5. Even the though you’ll end up paying $40 a month, its a pretty good deal for those who prefer live TV.
- Hotstar: Although Hotstar is an Indian enterprise, it can be accessed overseas using VPN, SmartDNS, and proxy services. Hotstar charges as little as $3 a month for its services. The company has a tie-up with all Star channels as well as HBO, making it possible for viewers in India, Nepal, Bangladesh, Pakistan, and other countries to watch popular American shows.
- Amazon Prime Video: Amazon offers Game of Thrones’ seasons but you’ll have to purchase each season or episode separately. The good thing is that it costs only about $3 a season. Furthermore, Amazon has secured an agreement with HBO according to which users might see the 7th GOT season on Amazon. However, this will be added to the library much after the season has been officially aired.
- iTunes Store/Google Play: Similar to Amazon’s instant video service, seasons or episodes of GOT can be purchased individually on these platforms through your smartphones at low prices.
More Articles Related to Movies & TV Shows:
A Word of Caution –
You’ve probably landed on this page after discovering zillions of other sites. Some of these sites claim that you can watch Game of Thrones in HD and even download the show provided you install a certain software. You should know that most of these sites are just a scam so steer clear of them.